Skip to Content

EU migration chief says deadly shipwreck highlights surge in migrant crossings from eastern Libya

KIFI

STOCKHOLM (AP) — The European Union’s migration chief says the shipwreck last week off Greece that is feared to have killed hundreds of people may be the “worst ever tragedy” of its kind. It comes as migrant crossings from eastern Libya to Europe have surged. As many as 750 people may have been on board the migrant ship that sank in the Mediterranean Sea last Wednesday. Just over 100 people survived the shipwreck. So far, 82 bodies have been recovered and hundreds of people are missing. Ylva Johansson says there’s been a 600% increase “along this route from the eastern part of Libya towards EU or mainly towards Italy.”

Article Topic Follows: AP National

Jump to comments ↓

Associated Press

BE PART OF THE CONVERSATION

KIFI Local News 8 is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content