Skip to Content

Poky house fire was likely caused by smoking near oxygen

A Pocatello house fire on Saturday was likely caused by someone smoking near medical oxygen tanks, said the Pocatello Fire Department.

Two people were injured in the blaze.

15-year-old Joeseph Maher has been released from Portneuf Medical Center after receiving treatment for a serious cut caused by smashing out a window to escape. He will have to endure many months of physical therapy.

73-year-old Jack Maher is still in the burn trauma unit at University Hospital in Salt Lake City, but he is recovering.

The home’s owner has set up a fund for donations to rebuild the house.

An account has been set up at ISU Credit Union under the name “Katherine Thatcher for John Maher House Fire Benefit”.

Deposits can be made at any branch or on the ISU Credit Union Website,

Article Topic Follows: News

Jump to comments ↓

Author Profile Photo

News Team


KIFI Local News 8 is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content