Skip to Content

Fire rescue caught on camera

An incredible rescue was caught on camera over the weekend in Idaho Falls.

Firefighters pulled a man from a narrow basement window-well as his home burned.

A neighbor by 374 K Street shot some cell phone footage of firefighters strategizing; how to get a grown man out of a narrow window well while his home burned from the rear laundry room.

The footage, now on, shows the minutes-long effort, as chainsaws came out and firefighers had to cut into the house to free the man.

The man was a little banged up from the escape, he’s doing just fine and staying in a motel.

Still, the fire has sparked some concern for neighbors.

“That house is a fire hazard,” said neighbor Brad Crow, referring to old wiring in the homes in his neighborhood.

Several people said they are afraid that the old wiring in their homes could bring about another scene like Saturday’s.

“It’s not just this house,” said Patrick Stewart, who used to live in the neighborhood. “I’ve been to a couple of other friends houses where I’m pretty sure it’s not up to date — the wiring.”

Fire inspector Joe Nichols says that residents should not worry about old wiring, as long as things are properly maintained.

“If people try and save money and unqualified people try to do electrical work, yes, you’re putting yourself in danger,” Nichols said. “Hire someone who knows what they’re doing and pay the extra money to get that done. It’s a lot more expensive to have a fire like this.”

Nichols hasn’t determined the exact cause of the fire, but he says it is not electrical.

Nichols is more concerned by the way the house is built. Homes in the neighborhood were built in the 1920’s, and often don’t have more than one way out in the event of a fire.

In the case of 374 K Street, the only exit from the basement was blocked by the fire, which is why the man had to use a window.

Estimated damage to the home is said to be around $40,000.

Article Topic Follows: News

Jump to comments ↓

Author Profile Photo

News Team


KIFI Local News 8 is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content