Skip to Content

Fire destroys Idaho Falls straw maze

A straw maze was engulfed in flames Tuesday night in southern Idaho Falls.

About 1,000 1-ton bales of straw were on fire.The Idaho Falls Fire Department said it started around 10:30 p.m. at the U Pick ‘Em Red Barn off McNeil Drive between 24th Street and Sunnyside.

No injuries or deaths were reported.

Owner Preston Walker said the maze is called “Lost Straw Maze.” He told our Jessica Crandall the maze usually closes at 10 p.m., but workers closed up shop at 9:30 p.m. Tuesday. The maze is across McNeil from the Big Red Barn.

A back hoe was also burned in the fire, Walker said.

Fire officials say the blaze caused $100,000 in damage.

A distinct smell has spread throughout Idaho Falls and into some Ammon neighborhoods, according to some of our viewers.

Firefighters tell us they expect the fire to burn until Thursday or Friday.

Firefighters say police and citizens watch patrol officers will monitor the fire and the surrounding neighborhood into Wednesday morning. They do not plan todouse it with any more water, a firefighter said.

“There’s no way we’re going to save it,” he said.

The wind is gusting at a considerable rate in that area and sparks from the blaze are being caught in the wind.

Howard said they still aren’t sure how the fire started but they are investigating it.

Article Topic Follows: News

Jump to comments ↓

Author Profile Photo

News Team


KIFI Local News 8 is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content