Skip to Content

Fire rekindles in Jefferson County home

The wiring to or in a first floor ceiling fan was the probable cause of a fire in a home at 23 N. 3300 East just north of County Line Road in Jefferson County at around 4:20 p.m. Sunday.

Jefferson Central Fire Chief Jim Deuel said it appeared the fire ran through open spaces between the floor and ceiling structures. He estimated heat, smoke, and water damage at around $200 thousand. No one was hurt.

The home is owned by Penny Waymiller of Idaho Falls and was being rented to the Jeff Smith family. Deuel said the family left for church Sunday afternoon and returned home three hours later to find the second floor full of smoke.

Nine fire trucks and 30 volunteer firefighters from Lewisville, Menan and Rigby responded to the fire. They had the fire controlled within 30 to 45 minutes, but attempted to locate hot spots for four hours.

Cleanup crews discovered the fire “rekindled” briefly Monday afternoon. Firefighters returned to the scene to ensure there was no additional smoldering in insulation.

Article Topic Follows: News

Jump to comments ↓

Author Profile Photo

News Team


KIFI Local News 8 is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content