The wiring to or in a first floor ceiling fan was the probable cause of a fire in a home at 23 N. 3300 East just north of County Line Road in Jefferson County at around 4:20 p.m. Sunday.
Jefferson Central Fire Chief Jim Deuel said it appeared the fire ran through open spaces between the floor and ceiling structures. He estimated heat, smoke, and water damage at around $200 thousand. No one was hurt.
The home is owned by Penny Waymiller of Idaho Falls and was being rented to the Jeff Smith family. Deuel said the family left for church Sunday afternoon and returned home three hours later to find the second floor full of smoke.
Nine fire trucks and 30 volunteer firefighters from Lewisville, Menan and Rigby responded to the fire. They had the fire controlled within 30 to 45 minutes, but attempted to locate hot spots for four hours.
Cleanup crews discovered the fire “rekindled” briefly Monday afternoon. Firefighters returned to the scene to ensure there was no additional smoldering in insulation.