Skip to Content

Utah family burned after propane heater explodes

Authorities say a family of five was severely burned while camping in southern Utah after a propane heater exploded.

The Sevier County Sheriff’s Office tells The Deseret News that the leaking propane heater erupted in flames Sunday, causing first- to third-degree burns on the faces and extremities of the Clinton family. Three family members were taken to the University of Utah burn center by helicopter.

Another family member was transported by ambulance and the fifth was treated and released at the scene.

The youngest family member was 7 years old.

The sheriff’s office says the father told investigators he had just struck the igniter on a propane heater when the family’s entire cargo trailer burst into flames, causing several items to catch on fire and melting others.


Information from: Deseret News,

Author Profile Photo

News Team


Leave a Reply

Skip to content