Skip to Content

Teenage girl dies in Rexburg house fire

A teenage girl died Wednesday morning after a fire at 919 S. 5th West in Rexburg. The Madison Fire Department said they were called to the home at 8:27 a.m. The girl had been brought outside and a Rexburg Police Department officer was giving her CPR after he could not detect a pulse or heartbeat. Paramedics transported the girl, who was not identified, to Madison Memorial Hospital where she was later pronounced dead. The attic area of the house was involved in fire when firefighters arrived on the scene. Fire Chief Corey Child said the family confirmed a fire was started in their wood burning stove Tuesday afternoon or evening. Although its investigation is not complete, firefighters said it appeared heat in the stovepipe caused cellulose insulation to ignite in the attic and set trusses on fire. He believes the fire had been burning since the previous day. “Our hearts are heavy, said Child. “Our deepest sympathies are extended to the family at this difficult time.” Property damage was estimated at $35,000.

Article Topic Follows: News
Author Profile Photo

News Team


KIFI Local News 8 is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content