Skip to Content

Fire damages iconic Island Park building

UPDATE: 8:50 A.M. 1-31-18 No one was hurt in a fire at the Chalet building, off U.S. 20 in Island Park Tuesday night.

The Island Park volunteer fire department was called to the fire at 7:11 p.m. Tuesday. Fire Chief Nathaniel Brandenihl said firefighters were able to save about two-thirds of the building.

Crews from St. Anthony and Ashton fire departments were called in to support local firefighters with water supply.

Brandenihl said the cause of the fire has not been officially determined. He said it appears to have started near a wood stove in the residential part of the building. One person was in the building at the time of the fire and escaped without injury.

The building is owned by Matt and Willy Caldwell. The restaurant portion of the building has been closed for several years.


The Chalet restaurant on Main Street in Island Park is burning.

The Fremont County Sheriff’s office tells Local News 8 and KIDK Eyewitness News 3, they have no details at this time but did confirm there is a fire.

We received these pictures from Jordan Dye at Trout Hunter Lodge.

We will update you on the investigation into the fire as details become available.

Article Topic Follows: News

Jump to comments ↓

Author Profile Photo

News Team


KIFI Local News 8 is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content