Skip to Content

Officials: Cat alerted residents to Syracuse apartment fire


SYRACUSE, N.Y. (AP) — A cat may be the reason three residents escaped an apartment fire in upstate New York. Residents were asleep when a fire broke out Saturday morning on the first floor of a building in Syracuse. Fire officials told a cat inside the home woke them up and everyone was able to evacuate. When fire crews arrived, they were able to knock down the fire in about 20 minutes. The fire was confined to the building’s first floor, but officials said the second floor of the building also had to be evacuated. All the residents in the building have been displaced by the fire. Red Cross disaster teams have been called to assist.

Article Topic Follows: AP National

Jump to comments ↓

Author Profile Photo

Associated Press


KIFI Local News 8 is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content