Skip to Content

Grand Teton announces change to backcountry camping permits

MOOSE, Wyo. (KIFI) – Effective Jan. 10, 2024, Grand Teton National Park will change the backcountry camping permit fee to $20, plus a $7 per person, per night fee to camp overnight in the backcountry. 

Grand Teton began charging for backcountry permits in 2014 and last modified the fees in 2018. 

Approximately 30% of backcountry camping permits will be available on for advanced reservations beginning Jan. 10, 2024, at 8 a.m. MST for the 2024 camping season which runs May 1 through Oct. 31. Starting May 1, 2024, the remaining 70% of backcountry camping permits will be available one day before the start of the trip as “walk-up” permits and must be obtained in-person at the Craig Thomas Discovery and Visitor Center, Colter Bay Visitor Center or Jenny Lake Ranger Station permit offices. Advanced reservation permits must be picked up in-person by 10 a.m. the day of the trip or the permit will be cancelled and made available to others.

Grand Teton National Park offers additional benefits through the system including allowing reservation holders to modify their permit reservations to add or subtract the number of people in the party or the nights stayed. When advanced reservations are cancelled or modified on the website, those dates will become available for others to reserve online throughout the summer. The backcountry camping permit fee is non-refundable. The nightly per person fee is refundable when the permit is cancelled, or the number of people is modified and reduced at least five days prior to the permit start date.

Officials say the backcountry permit system is vital to providing an outstanding visitor experience. The revenue from backcountry permit fees allows the park to offset a portion of the costs associated with visitor use management while continuing to provide high-quality, high-demand backcountry visitor experiences. Backcountry camping permit fees allow staff to provide safety and route information, patrol campsites and provide visitor services, aid in search and rescue efforts, maintain and improve trails, campsites, facilities and other amenities that directly enhance the visitor experience. Another benefit of the backcountry permit system is the park has the ability to designate specific camping areas, limiting impacts on the backcountry environment.

Begin planning your next backcountry adventure in Grand Teton at

Article Topic Follows: Wyoming

Jump to comments ↓

Author Profile Photo

News Team


KIFI Local News 8 is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content