Skip to Content

South Jordan Fire Started With Giant Cotton Ball

Investigators say a South Jordan resident who set flame to a giant cotton ball sparked a fire that forced evacuations at about 20 homes earlier this week.

Authorities have classified the fire that started about 4 p.m. Tuesday near the Glenmoor Golf Course as an accident.

South Jordan fire officials say the man found a clump of cotton-like seeds that was about the size of a dinner plate and set it on fire. The blaze quickly spread because of cotton droppings and other plant debris in the area.

The department reports 17 properties were damaged, including eight homes. Four people suffered minor burns.

South Jordan Fire Department Capt. Nathan Morreale tells The Salt Lake Tribune the case has been turned over to prosecutors, who will review it for possible charges.

Article Topic Follows: News

Jump to comments ↓

Author Profile Photo

News Team


KIFI Local News 8 is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content