Skip to Content

Cheesesteak shop fire attributed to electrical malfunction


PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Authorities say an electrical malfunction sparked a fast-moving fire that damaged one of Philadelphia’s best-known cheesesteak shops last week. More than 125 firefighters and other emergency responders were called to the Friday morning blaze at Jim’s Steaks on South Street and took more than four hours to bring it under control. No injuries were reported. The Philadelphia Fire Department said Monday that the fire marshal’s office had “determined the cause to be electrical wiring.” Owner Ken Silver told The Philadelphia Inquirer that city inspectors had pronounced the building structurally sound. He is vowing to rebuild.

Article Topic Follows: AP National

Jump to comments ↓

Author Profile Photo

Associated Press


KIFI Local News 8 is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content