Skip to Content

Person smoking while connected to oxygen tank causes Cape Coral house fire

By NBC2 News

Click here for updates on this story

    CAPE CORAL, Florida (WBBH) — According to the Cape Coral Fire Department PIO, one of the occupants was smoking while connected to an oxygen tank, which caused the fire early Monday morning.

Cape Coral firefighters responded to a 2100-block South East 16th Street house in Cape Coral after a house caught on fire at around 5:20 a.m.

When firefighters arrived, they found heavy smoke and flames coming from the front of the house and the roof.

According to CCFD, the resident thought he had shut his oxygen off before lighting his cigarette.

Caution tape has been placed around the house. While firefighters extinguished the flames that had spread toward the garage.

The building inspector red-tagged the home, and Red Cross is assisting with a temporary house.

All occupants were able to get out as well as their dog, one person was transported to a hospital for smoke inhalation.

This is the second fire caused by a cigarette that Cape Coral firefighters have responded to in less than a week.

Please note: This content carries a strict local market embargo. If you share the same market as the contributor of this article, you may not use it on any platform.

Article Topic Follows: CNN - Regional

Jump to comments ↓

CNN Newsource


KIFI Local News 8 is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content