Kitchen accidents are a leading cause of fires and home injuries, according to Rocky Mountain Power.
Keeping an eye on the stove, staying in the home while food is in the oven and keeping children a safe distance away from cooking appliances are paramount to kitchen safety.
In addition, there are a number of electrical safety steps that sometimes can get overlooked but are key to staying safe as you prepare for Thanksgiving Day feasting.
Officials remind you the following:
Don’t fight a grease or electrical fire with water. Smother the fire with a pot lid and always have a fire extinguisher available. Don’t overload your electrical outlets. Do unplug any unused appliances that could accidentally be turned and left on. Do replace any appliances with frayed cords to avoid electrical shock. Do locate all appliances away from the sink. Remember, water and electricity do not mix. Don’t use extension cords with major appliances.