Skip to Content

UPDATED: Structure fire burns in Pocatello

UPDATE: 2/1/2018 6:30 p.m.: The garage is a total loss.

The roof is caved in the sides are collapsed.

All of the roads are back open. They opened around 4:30 p.m.

Bannock County Sheriff Lorin Nielsen said the fire was started by an employee moving a gas engine when it dropped and sparked a fire. The person in the garage tried to put it out with a fire extinguisher but couldn’t get it out.

There was oil and some oil cans, which the firefighters monitored closely and made sure did not reignite.

The sheriff said there were no other dangers for the public.

“As far as the tires and flames, looks like they got most of that toxic smoke pretty well down,” Nielsen said. “Didn’t appear to have any major hazardous materials or public safety issues.”

The person who dropped the gas engine was taken to the hospital, with possible smoke inhalation. Nielsen said they don’t know if he had any other injuries.

Nielsen said fire investigators are looking into it.

Original Story: The Bannock County Sheriff’s Office said the fire was confined to an auto garage. It apparently started when a gas tank fell, created a spark, and caught fire.

One employee was transported by private vehicle to Portneuf Medical Center for treatment of suspected smoke inhalation. His injuries were not life threatening.

The fire has been contained, but roads are still partially closed around the area to allow fire equipment to have access to the area.

Reporter Misty Inglet is on the scene and will have an updated report with Local News 8 at 5 and Channel 3 Eyewitness News at 5:30.

A structure fire started just before 1 p.m. on near the intersection of Highway 30 and Philbin Road in Pocatello.

The Bannock County Sheriff’s Office has closed parts of Highway 30, Philbin Road, Hawthorne Road and Cottage Avenue.

We have a team at the fire working to get more details.

Follow Local News 8 and KIDK Eyewitness News 3 for the latest.

Author Profile Photo

News Team


Leave a Reply

Skip to content