Skip to Content

Police: Bullet didn’t hit kevlar in deputy’s bulletproof vest

UPDATE 9/27/18 9:55 a.m. The Bingham County Sheriff’s Office reports the preliminary investigation shows when Juan Santos-Quintero Jr. shot Sgt. Todd Howell, the bullet did not hit any Kevlar in the bulletproof vest.

The sheriff’s office said it went through the vest carrier and the material covering of the Kevlar panel and into Sgt. Todd Howells body.

Sheriff Craig T. Rowland said, “the bullet was removed from his body yesterday and will be used for evidence.”

Sgt. Howell is now at home recovering and his wife Kathy has taken off work to take care of him.

Sgt. Howell and his wife recently returned from a trip to visit a new grandson so his wife has no vacation days left.

A fund has been set up at Zions Bank to help support Howell’s family during his recovery.

Donations can be made in the name of Todd Howell at any Zions Bank Branch. Donations can also be mailed to the branch in Blackfoot at 1350 Parkway #1, Blackfoot ID 83221.

Donations can also be made through PayPal by contacting


UPDATE 9/24/18 4:00 p.m. Eastern Idaho Regional Medical Center reports Deputy Sergeant Todd Howell was discharged from the hospital Monday.

No further details were released.


UPDATE: 9-22 6:20 p.m.

The Bingham County Sheriff’s Office has identified the officer injured in a Friday night shooting in Firth as Deputy Sergeant Todd Howell.

Howell was hit on the left side as the bullet penetrated his body armor. He was able to return fire, along with two other Bingham County deputies. Sheriff Craig Rowland said Howell was in stable condition at Eastern Idaho Regional Medical Center.

The names of the other two deputies involved in the incident were not released.

In a news release Saturday, the Bingham County Sheriff’s Office said they were called at 7:07 p.m. after reports of a person driving down the road and shooting a gun out the window in the vicinity of 725 North 600 East, in Firth.

After Sgt. Howell was shot, a Critical Incident Team was called to investigate. Idaho State Police is leading that investigation.

Quintero surrendered at around 9:30 p.m.

The Bingham County Prosecutor’s Office is working with the Sheriff’s Office to prepare chargest against Juan Santos-Quintero, 22.


A deputy is recovering in an Idaho Falls hospital and a suspect is in custody after shots were fired in Firth Friday night.

According to authorities, Shortly after 7p.m., Bingham County Sheriff’s Deputies in the Firth area came in contact with 22-year-old Juan Santos-Quintero, who was wanted in connection to a string of armed robbery incidents in the Idaho Falls area. During this contact, shots were fired and a Bingham County Deputy was shot near A.W Johnson Elementary School.

Police have not said what led to shots being fired.

The injured Deputy was transported to Eastern Idaho Regional Medical Center. The name and condition of the deputy are not being released at this time. As of Friday night, the deputy was awaiting surgery.

According to reports from the scene, Quintero became barricaded in a home close to the school on the east side of Firth.

A perimeter was set up around the residence where Quintero was held up. SWAT Teams and Law Enforcement from the Eastern Idaho area were sent to the location to assist.
Police say, Negotiations between Quintero and Law Enforcement ensued and he was ultimately taken into custody and the area was made safe.

During this pursuit and standoff, there was panic at a nearby soccer match.

Several viewers contacted Local News 8 to say they heard the gunshots at the nearby soccer game. There was panic on the field as parents and players ran to nearby houses to escape. They did not know where the gunshots were coming from. Parent Alicia Hatton says, “As we watched the game we suddenly heard multiple gunshots, and at first thought they were fireworks. Then a police officer pulled up in the street next to the field. He jumped out of his car with his gun, hid behind his car door with his gun pointed, and amid more gunfire, started yelling at us to RUN! RUN! RUN! At first we were confused and terrified and didn’t know where or which way to run. There were people diving over their children to protect them, running, screaming, crying, carrying people who couldn’t walk, running across the soccer field for cover, parents crying out for their children that they could not locate. We were terrified, not knowing where the shots were coming from! For all we knew the shooter was right at the soccer field! We feared for our lives!! We ran into people’s homes that were behind the field!”

Several agencies from around the area are assisting the Bingham County Sheriff’s Office in their investigation.

Earlier on Friday, the Idaho Falls Police Department notified the media and public to be on the look out for Quintero. He was considered armed and dangerous.


The Bingham County Sheriff’s Office has confirmed to us that multiple law enforcement agencies have responded to a shots fired call in Firth near A.W Johnson Elementary School.

Several viewers contacted Local News 8 to say they heard the gunshots at a nearby soccer game. There was panic on the field as parents and players ran to nearby houses to escape. They did not know where the gunshots were coming from.

It has also been confirmed that an officer was shot and taken to EIRMC, no other information has been released at this time.

People are asked to avoid the area.

We have a reporter at the scene and will update this story when more information is released.

Author Profile Photo

News Team


Leave a Reply

Skip to content