Skip to Content

Fire destroys Chubbuck home

A Chubbuck family looks on as firefighters try to put out hot spots in their mobile home
A Chubbuck family looks on as firefighters work to put out hotspots in their home
Chubbuck mobile home fire
fire fighters put out hot spots
Firefighters put out hot spots

CHUBBUCK, Idaho (KIFI)- A Chubbuck residence was completely destroyed by a fire Saturday night.

The mobile home located just behind Smiths on Circle Inn Drive caught fire about 9:30 P.M.

Four adults living in the home attempted to put out the fire but were unable to stop the flames.

When first responders arrived, the fire was large enough that people living nearby had to be evacuated. 

The home was fully engulfed when firefighters arrived, they were able to get the fire out but it took several hours to extinguish some stubborn hot spots.  

Chubbuck Fire Chief Merlin Miller said the fire started outside on the deck and was caused by a discarded cigarette. 

The cigarette smoldered on some mattresses under the deck and started a fire on the deck and under the mobile home, a nearby tree also burned.

Miller says that they were lucky because several nearby fuel tanks had started to bubble and could have exploded. 

One of the residents had some very minor burns the other three were unhurt.

Investigation into the fire is continuing.

Article Topic Follows: Local News

Jump to comments ↓

Author Profile Photo

Linda Larsen

Linda is an anchor and reporter for Local News 8.


KIFI Local News 8 is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content