Skip to Content
Top Stories

Rusty Parrot condemned as fire investigation concludes

Rusy Parrot Fire 2
Rusty Parrot 1

JACKSON, Wyo. (KIFI/KIDK)-A fire that destroyed the Rusty Parrot Lodge in Jackson Monday night started on the south deck of the lodge, according to Jackson Hole Fire/EMS Fire Marshal Kathy Clay.

Town Building Inspector Kelly Sluder inspected the building Tuesday and condemned the structure due to significant structural loss-of-integrity caused by the fire.

Clay said the deck had two permanently installed natural gas outdoor fireplaces. An "L" shaped cushion sofa bench was positioned nearby. She said the fireplaces were shut off and the bench was covered around 10:45 p.m., but fabric from the protective covering got close enough to the residual heat to ignite and spread to the couch.

Firefighters were called to the Lodge at 11:27 p.m. to find the fire rapidly spreading into the interior attic space, where it grew significantly and vented through the roof.

Town Water Utility Manager Johnny Ryan estimates firefighters used at least 500,000 gallons of water to fight the fire.

"We are all saddened by the loss of his iconic structure," said Jackson Hole Fire/EMS Chief Brady Hansen. "I am proud of our responders; they worked hard and gave it 100%:"

Crews from the Jackson, Wilson, Adams Canyon, and Hoback stations, plus the Teton Village Fire Department all responded with equipment and firefighting crews. Citizen Emergency Response Team members staffed the interagency support bus and provided comfort for firefighters.

Clay reminded people to be careful placing combustibles near heat sources. "Introducing fire onto a deck creates a wonderful ambiance," she said. "But it also increases risk."

Local News / News / Regional News

News Team

Comments

Leave a Reply