Skip to Content

Parvovirus sparks concern

IDAHO FALLS, Idaho (KIFI) – Parvovirus is a highly infectious virus that affects both cats' and dogs' intestines. It can be spread through direct infected animal contact or though contaminated environments, feces or people.

In some cases, it can be fatal, especially if it's not treated.

Julie Szilard with Idaho Falls Animal Services says, "When we get an animal with parvo, we have to take pretty strict safety precautions... It does put a strain on the shelter."

The Idaho Falls Animal Shelter typically only sees a handful of cases per year in their rescued pets.

They say it usually peaks in the spring or beginning of fall, but just this year, they already have seen three cases.

"Our first case of the year was Demeter. She was found basically collapsed in a pile of bloody feces... And the next ones we got in were Ryder and Riddick, and they were littler. And so they were pretty poorly off when we first got them in," Szilard said.

They were able to save two of the dogs, but the third puppy did not make it. The two have since been adopted from the shelter.

There's one simple way to protect your pets and others', it's to get your animal vaccinated.

Animal shelters and veterinarians offer this service at a fairly low price, a price they say is worth paying to save your furry friend's life.

Article Topic Follows: Idaho Falls

Jump to comments ↓

Author Profile Photo

Kailey Galaviz

Kailey is a reporter and weekend anchor for Local News 8 and Eyewitness News 3.


KIFI Local News 8 is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content