Skip to Content

Many Idahoans can get free income tax help / CC BY-SA 2.0

BOISE, Idaho (KIFI) — You might be able to get free help preparing your income tax return at volunteer tax preparation sites throughout Idaho.

To find a site near you, visit the Idaho State Tax Commission website at Click on the Free Income Tax Help link on the home page.

You also can find site information by going to

The free help is intended for senior citizens and people with low to moderate incomes who have simple federal and Idaho tax returns. That includes taxpayers submitting a state return only to get a grocery credit refund, and those filing a federal return only to claim the Earned Income Tax Credit. People who have complicated returns should get help from a professional preparer.

All sites offer electronic filing for faster refunds. Some offer help in Spanish. The Tax Commission recommends that you check the site information on the day you want to visit since times and dates can change.

Some state colleges operate volunteer sites, including:

  • Boise State University in Boise
  • Idaho State University in Pocatello
  • Lewis-Clark State College in Lewiston
  • University of Idaho in Moscow

When visiting a site, please bring:

  • Photo IDs for you and your spouse
  • Social Security cards for you, your spouse, and any dependents
  • Any W-2 and 1099 forms
  • Copies of last year’s state and federal returns
  • Other documents needed to file a return 

IIf you don’t have internet access, find a site by calling (800) 906-9887. You also can call AARP’s automated system at (888) 227-7669. If you have tax questions, call the Tax Commission at (208) 334-7660 in the Boise area or toll free at (800) 972-7660.

Article Topic Follows: Idaho

Jump to comments ↓

Author Profile Photo

News Team


KIFI Local News 8 is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content