Skip to Content

Central Fire District makes recommendations to prevent garage fires

RIGBY, Idaho (KIFI) - Garage fires may not seem like a public safety hazard, but fire stations across eastern Idaho are prepared to face such situations.

With a recent uptick in garage fires in southeastern Idaho, learning more about how garage fires start and preventing them from happening are important to keeping you and your loved ones safe.

“Some of the most common that we have seen in our district, have been are improper uses of extension cords, and things being stored close to heat sources such as space heaters/wood burning stoves," Central Fire District captain Cody Thornton said. ”We’re also starting to see more fires start from lithium ion batteries.”

The Central Fire District recommends several different ways to prevent a garage dire from happening in your home:

  1. Thornton recommends all appliances used in the garage should be plugged directly into the wall if necessary, and that all cords are plugged in properly.
  2. Make sure that storage remains ventilated for utilities such as fuel and paint, and remove all clutter by a heating unit while in use.
  3. Refrain from overcharging when using electronics with a lithium ion battery. Unplug the charger once the electronic is fully charged, and don’t charge a lithium ion battery overnight.
Article Topic Follows: Top Stories

Jump to comments ↓

Author Profile Photo

Travis Richards

Travis is a reporter and producer for Local News 8 and Eyewitness News 3.

BE PART OF THE CONVERSATION

KIFI Local News 8 is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content