POCATELLO, Idaho (KIFI) - UPDATE 2/1/22: The Bannock County Sheriff's Office, along with law enforcement officers from the Forest Service are now investigating tainted hot dogs that were found on trails near Pocatello.
As we first reported Monday, someone has been putting large doses of ibuprofen pills inside hot dogs and leaving them along popular trails.
These hot dogs were found at the West Fork Mink Creek Trail head this past Friday.
According to some hikers, the tainted hot dogs have also been found at Kinney Creek, Chinese Peak and Black Rock Canyon.
Ibuprofen is very dangerous and can be deadly for dogs. At least three dogs have been injured, and one of them died.
The sheriff's office says the person responsible will likely face felony charges of cruelty to animals.
"They're very serious, if you feed an animal or specifically I think they are attacking dogs with this is what my guess would be, this ibuprofen it could cause vomiting, it could cause extreme diarrhea in an animal up to death in an animal," Capt. Alex Hamilton said. "I am guessing that's what these people's intent is that for some reason trying to kill animals and we take that very serious."
Westside Ranger District is urging those recreating with their dogs to use caution.
Keep your pet on a leash.
Bannock County deputies say if you have seen anything suspicious or know anything about these incidents, to contact them at 208-236-71-11.
ORIGINAL: Trail users say they are finding hots dogs laced with ibuprofen along Pocatello area trails.
These hot dogs were found at the West Fork Mink Creek Trailhead this past Friday.
According to some hikers, the ibuprofen-laced hot dogs have also been found at Kinney Creek, Chinese Peak and Blackrock Canyon.
Ibuprofen is very dangerous and toxic for dogs.
"Ibuprofen can be very deadly, especially at high doses like that," Dr. Micael Long of Alpine Animal Hospital said. "It primarily affects three organs. It affects the gastrointestinal system first, and then once it's absorbed and it's done its damage there, it goes to the liver and the kidney and causes severe damage there as well."
If you spot an ibuprofen-laced hot dog, contact the Bannock County Sheriff's Office at 208-236-7111.